Practical Pleasing Prayer
Teach Us to Pray
Important Note: Any notes you have taken will be lost if you leave this page before emailing them to yourself.
Series Intro: What is prayer? How does prayer work? And how should we pray? In this series, we’re focusing on how we can ask God to intervene in the circumstances and situations of our lives and how these prayers can transform us and our world.
- We often know we should pray, but we don’t know where to start.
- But God wants us to pray for whatever is on our heart.
- Why does God want us to pray this way?
- Big Idea: Because our prayers are pleasing to God.
Then I saw the seven angels who stand before God, and seven trumpets were given to them. 3 And another angel came and stood at the altar with a golden censer, and he was given much incense to offer with the prayers of all the saints on the golden altar before the throne, 4 and the smoke of the incense, with the prayers of the saints, rose before God from the hand of the angel. (Revelation 8.2-4 ESV)
- God wants to be with you; He wants to hear from you; He’s pleased when He hears from you!
- The only person who dares wake up a king at 3 am is a child. We have that kind of access to God in prayer.
Apply: How Can We Pray?
- Pray as you can and pray what you can.
Tools for Prayer
- Guided Prayer
- Simple Prayer
- Prayer Patterns
- Prayer Lists
- Corporate Prayer
For Further Study
- Prayer in the Night, Tish Harrison Warren (book)
- Answering God, Eugene Peterson (book)
- What If Jesus Was Serious about Prayer, Skye Jethani (visual book)
- The Book of Common Prayer (book)
- The Lord’s Prayer, The Bible Project (podcast)
- Prayer: Finding the Heart’s True Home, Richard Foster (book)
- Devoted to Prayer, Jarrett Dickey (article)
- Too Busy Not to Pray, Bill Hybels (book)
- The Shema, The Bible Project (video series)
- A Dairy of Private Prayer, John Bailley (journal)
- What is the Jesus Prayer?, Theoria (video)
- Thoughts, Prayers, and Platitudes, Jacob Quick (article)